Friday, December 9, 2011

Update on baby Zoe...

It's crazy- on one hand I feel like Zoe has been a part of our family for FOREVER and then on another hand it's hard for me to believe that she's been home for 6 weeks already. Overall, she has adjusted pretty seamlessly.  She walks around this house like she owns the place and is into EVERYTHING.  Literally, I can't turn my back on her for a minute without her getting into some kind of trouble.  Her favorites are the kitchen cabinets, pulling all the books off the bookshelves, unrolling the toilet paper in the bathrooms, and messing up anything big brother Evan is playing with (which he usually handles very well).  In fact, Evan told me today "Mom, I love Zoe so much.  I'm so glad she's finally home".  Oh, melt my heart.  Me too Evan, me too... 

Zoe's adjustment to baby foods and solid foods has been amazing.  She's becoming less and less picky the longer she's here and has quite the appetite.  Several people have told us how much chubbier her cheeks look already.  I don't notice it, but I'm sure they're right with the way she eats.  I'm amazed to think that she's come so far in just 6 weeks (from only having bottles to now eating soo many different foods so well).  She still does have a few bottles a day, but she's done really well with weaning off of it so far. 

One of her newest tricks is making animal sounds while looking at her animal books. This may sound very typical for little ones her age, but both are small miracles to me.  Considering she barely even knew what a book was 6 weeks ago, I'm amazed that she will grab a book and walk over to me wanting to read.  And she can roar like a lion, meow like a cat, bark like a dog, and we're working on her moo.  It's pretty stinkin' cute.  And the ease that she has picked up on the language is also amazing to me.  She recognizes so many words and has even started to say a few.  She is constantly pointing at things and saying "Yook".  Translation: LOOK.  She loves giving slobbery, open-mouthed kisses and is now an expert at waving hello and bye-bye.  One of my favorite things right now is walking into her room in the morning or after her naps and seeing the huge grin on her face when she sees me.  And the way she looks at her daddy and runs to him when he gets home from work- oh so cute.  That little girls LOVES her daddy- and I think he kind of likes her too ;) 

Our one area where we can use some prayer is the sleep department!  She was used to waking up in the middle of the night in Ethiopia and it's been a little tough breaking her of that- especially when all the books and research on attachment with adopted children suggest that you shouldn't let them cry.  So we're working through that and last night she actually only woke up ONCE!  We were so excited this morning and are praying that this continues.  It's kind of hard to be upset at her though when she's such a cutie ;)  I know we'll get there, I just hope it's sooner rather than later!

Ok, enough updates- here are some pictures I know you all are waiting for...
Mom, what are these crazy things on top of my head?!?
My little monkey loves bananas!
Love these 2!
Cooking in the kitchen- love the tongue :)
This one is for you Trisha!  Thanks for the beautiful monogrammed shirt :)
I put in a PraiseBaby DVD one day (Evan used to LOVE these) hoping to get a few kid-free minutes to get something done and this is what happened... for about 30 seconds or so.  Then they were done and ready to play.  Guess DVD's don't have the same effect on Zoe as they did Evan at that age.
Teasing me- trying to take off her bow... and knowing that she's funny :)
Love this one- those eyes just melt me!
Just had to put this outfit on her at least once since she didn't wear it on her 1st birthday....
He loves her soo much!

Hope you all are enjoying this holiday season and remembering the REAL reason for celebrating....


No comments:

Post a Comment